1. Half of my life is gone, and I have let
2. The years slip from me and have not fulfilled
3. The aspiration of my youth, to build
4. Some tower of song with lofty parapet.
5. Not indolence, nor pleasure, nor the fret
6. Of restless passions that would not be stilled,
7. But sorrow, and a care that almost killed,
8. Kept me from what I may accomplish yet;
9. Though, half-way up the hill, I see the Past
10. Lying beneath me with its sounds and sights, --
11. A city in the twilight dim and vast,
12. With smoking roofs, soft bells, and gleaming lights, --
13 And hear above me on the autumnal blast
14 The cataract of Death far thundering from the heights.